Monday, September 30, 2013

Five Drinks Into TV: How I Met Your Mother Final Season Episode 2 "Coming Back"

Tom's Take:

First off, sorry this is late. I didn't realize there were two episodes last week, so I'll make sure to finish writing this before I watch Episode three.

We have our second episode of the final season of How I Met Your Mother, and this one was a winner. It made me laugh on several occasions, and was also charming in that perfect blend that makes a good How I Met Your Mother episode worth watching. Fantastic job.


This episode was good because it was cute. It didn't try too hard to be "hilarious" and thus it allowed itself to find some funny moments and play them to full effect. Not everyone in the episode needed to be doing something. Out of the main cast, I actually found Lily to be the funniest in this episode, simply by doing a bit and her "thank you Linus." One little bit, repeated over and over again, and it was hilarious without trying too hard to steal the show.

Ted was great once again, and although I still see him as the season's antagonist, I couldn't help but love him in this episode. He stood up for himself, and even though he is lonely, he isn't going to wallow in it. He's going to be active. That's going to cause problems down the line this season, but for now his activity is focused on him being sure that he will finally find The One.

The Mother had another strong outing, as we finally got a scene with her and Ted. It was cute, adorable and I instantly found her good enough for Ted. They're in love, and I'm glad that the writers were able to do this so easily, since I know many people thought we needed a whole season of them dating.

Marshall's storyline was probably the least interesting to me, although I do love references to Marshall being Minnesota nice. He was just a tad hokey and cheezy for my tastes in this episode.

The plot of James' divorce was also cute, especially since Barney DIDN'T freak out, and instead was confident in his relationship with Robin. And I like that James admits to cheating. The writers weren't afraid to go there.

Predictions I've got Right so far:
1. Marshall missed the plan.
6. We got 1/3 of my predicted flashbacks, and I think I can say with confidence there will be more than three this season.
15. We're up to 5 things about Ted's relationship with The Mother. We learned that they return to Farhampton a year after this episode's events, and The Mother also loves croissants.

Alright with 22 episodes left, let's make an allstar season by picking 22 episodes to form a season based on placement.

1. Season 6 "Big Days" after seasons of Ted's search for the mother going stagnant, this episode finally brought us back, and even though the rest of the season was something of a let down, this was a strong one.
2. Season 9 "Coming Back" this placement is more honorary than anything, but I do think it was a strong episode for sure.
3. Season 1"Sweet Taste of Liberty" this episode introduced us to Legendary in my opinion.
4. Season 4 "Intervention" brought us the intervention banner.
5. Season 4 "Shelter Island" was the heartbreaking end to the Ted and Stella relationship.
6.  Season 1 "Slutty Pumpkin" another classic.
7.  Season 2 "Swarley" when Marshall and Lily finally got back together.
8.  Season 5 "The Playbook" an awesome Barney episode.
9.  Season 2 "Slap Bet" no questions about this one.
10. Season 7 "Tick, Tick, Tick" this episode was a bit dark, and made me finally pine for Robin and Barney again after seasons of them being on the backburner.
11. Season 3 "The Platinum Rule" a great episode that made use of non linear story telling for great effect.
12.  Season 4 "Benefits" this may be my favorite episode of the entire series, and it was the episode that showed that Barney's love for Robin was both hilarious and compelling which is why Season 4 is my favorite season of the show.
13. Season 3 "Ten Sessions" is a classic display of Ted Mosby being Ted Mosby.
14. Season 3 "The Bracket" this was a really tough place, and I think if I did 22 best episodes, period, several Episodes 14 would be featured but The Bracket was my favorite and actually compelled me into a few March Madness brackets.
15.  Season 1 "Game Night" introduced us to Marshall being great at games.
16.  Season 3 "Sandcastles in the Sand" the first episode I ever watched, and it made me root for Barney and Robin hard.
17. Season 5 "Of Course" was the best episode of Season 5, and probably the best episode since the end of Season 4 to be honest.
18.  Season 1 "Nothing Good Happens after 2 am" I disagree with this sentiment, but this was a great episode and showed that Ted wasn't always perfect.
19.  Season 4 "Murtaugh" this episode was pure comedy.
20. Season 8 "Time Travelers"
21. Season 2 "Something Borrowed" Lily and Marshall got married!
22. Season 1"Come On" the first and still best season finale of the show. If you're still a Ted and Robin fan, it's because of this episode.


Things I found funny in this episode

"Monstrosity"
"Kennedy Package"
The Hornier Curse.
Barney's gift to James for his anniversary.

Episode MVP: Curtis the receptionist. Just very funny.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10: Really nice episode that made me laugh several times.

No comments:

Post a Comment