Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Five Drinks Into TV: Better Call Saul Premiere 2 Night Event

Tom's Take:

It's Showtime!

So the first two episodes of Better Call Saul got us off to a really good start, so much so, that I want to talk about it.


Now, Breaking Bad is my #2 show of all time, right behind The Wire, so even if Better Call Saul is only a pale imitation, I will probably watch and enjoy it. I just want to say that right now to qualify how positive I am about this show.

Because the short story is, that I am very impressed with what I've seen so far from the show. Jimmy McGill is not Saul Goodman yet, and what I was most impressed with is that there's a pretty clear character arc to follow here, and I am curious to see how Jimmy McGill transforms into Saul Goodman.

Jimmy McGill has Saul Goodman's charm and gift of gab, he has that "Slippy Jimmy" personality that is the seed of Saul Goodman, but I was most struck by the differences between Jimmy McGill and the man he eventually becomes. He is destitute, which is not a huge surprise, yet despite this he rips up a check from his brother's old law firm. He has a degree of pride that Saul Goodman never seemed to have, He also obviously cares about his brother, who was never really mentioned in the Breaking Bad series proper. I'm wondering if Chuck might die at some point, and if that's going to be a big part of his losing his moral code.

And what's the deal with Mike working as a parking lot attendant? Hmmm.

As for Tuco, I enjoyed his scenes, and I am happy to see a way for Jimmy McGill to enter into the criminal world. 

I was very curious by Jimmy negotiation for his skateboarder "clients" both in the display of his actual lawyering skills, and the fact that violence really unsettles him. 

Jimmy taking the cigarette from the blonde Lawyer was very sexual for some reason. 

The show also has a lot of room for humor, which Breaking Bad lost over time, and I look forward to that in the episodes to follow.

Anyways I'm very much looking forward to the rest of this show.

What does everyone else thing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment