Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Five Drinks Into TV: How I Met Your Mother The Final Season Episode 4 "Broken Code"

Tom's Take:



Huh. So Barney and Ted confronted Ted's feelings for Robin in what turned out to be another pretty forgettable episode. I was kind of disappointed by it, especially since the Ted/Barney confrontation was something I thought would be a major plot point this season, and instead it sort of dropped the ball.

So first off, on my predictions:

13. Ranjit will show up again.

Nailed. I can check that one off the list.

Now for twenty more episodes of How I Met Your Mother left let's go over twenty things that haven't worked for How I Met Your Mother over the years.

1. Barney's fake history lessons. I don't think I've ever found any one of these funny.
2. Reliance on guest stars to be funny just because of name recognition. I'm looking at you Tim Gunn.
3. Lily getting a little too graphic.
4. Robin being too butch.
5. Over the top jokes (like Ted rubbing a strange woman's feet.)
6. Too much product tie ins. (Barney's Blog was hilarious but all the books got to be a bit much.)
7. Patrice.
8. Kicking a dead horse. Some jokes got old and they continued to be brought up.
9. Dropping the ball on cliffhangers. The anticlimactic start to this episode was kind of funny but mostly disappointing.
10. References to movies I haven't watched. Yeah, I've never seen it. Shoot me.
11. Treating big emotional issues as a tiny joke.
12. Straying too far from Ted's search from the mother.
13. Trying too hard for a joke instead of servicing the plot.
14. Trying too hard for everyone to have a catch phrase. (Lily's sunofabitch)
15. Quinn.
16. Too many red herrings.
17. Making Barney/Robin's relationship in Season Five so uninteresting leaving many fans off the pairing.
18. Too many seasons.
19. Lily not being interesting after Season Three.
20. Laziness.

Things I found funny in this episode:

Lily being jealous was funny.
"E-Lawyered"
"Be nice. Be yourself." "Which is it?"

Episode MVP: Lily? (maybe for being jealous?)

Rating: 6.0 out of 10

I was really let down by this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment